View Full Description
There's no need to worry. It may be a classic but it's still with the times. As technology has improved, so has this mic.
Listening to Nina Simone's historic songs, careful listeners will hear background fizz in them. With the upgraded U87 Ai, you won't have to worry about that. Its fully equipped with modern electronic components, so your tracks are the sharpest they've ever sounded. The new updates also include increased operational headroom. Which lets you get up close and personal with the U87 Ai, producing no ugly, distorted sounds. Be as loud and as bold as you dare. Sing like Nina, Cher, and Tina Turner. No matter what, you'll produce a record with razor-sharp, pristine clarity.
The full results of the update? Unmatched clarity, beautiful natural sounds, and a unique midrange presence. The U87 Ai is truly the ultimate vocal microphone.
Want to record more than just your voice? Maybe you want some instruments? Maybe some backing vocals? Dialogue? You can do it all.
The U87 Ai features switchable polar patterns so that you can change the direction and angle of the mic's sensitivity. Pick up exactly what you want. With omnidirectional, cardioid, and figure-8 patterns, you can achieve all types of sound recordings. And it doesn't matter if you're a seasoned professional or just starting out. You can change these patterns at the flick of the switch just below the mesh head grille. It's super easy to create super sound with the Neumann U87 Ai.
Get those pristine, clear-cut sounds. You can also adjust the dB and frequency sensitivity of the U87 Ai. When activating the attenuation switch on the rear, the mic can handle sound pressure levels up to 127dB without distortion. Another switch allows you to adjust the cutoff frequency. This reduces low frequency interference directly at the mic's input stage. Immediately eliminate natural or accidental booming bass notes without the need to 'fix it in post'.
Better sound than before. It may have the traditional look, but the U87 Ai has a brand-new sound that is second to none. Now it gives 6dB lower noise and 10dB more signal to noise than its predecessor.
Building on its predecessor, the U87 Ai uses a DC-DC converter never seen in this series before. It allows higher internal voltages to be stabilised from the 48v supply, which in turn allows for better noise figures and more dynamic range. Picking up a full audio frequency range of 20Hz - 20kHz, it clearly delivers the lowest of lows and the highest of highs without distortion or obscurity. You'll get the volume and clarity you want for your recordings.
The U87 Ai has a minimal signal path and a transformer balanced output that ensures maximum signal integrity and high common mode rejection. You will be producing records with a pure, unadulterated sound that comes straight from the source. Not only this, but fitted with a unique FET circuit, the U87 Ai displays a high input impedance at low frequencies for a solid bass response. As a result, the U87 Ai is often seen in front of bass and guitar cabinets. And for classical recordings, is frequently used as a spot mic for soloists. A stereo pair of U87 Ais is the preferred choice of many engineers for recording piano in virtually any genre from pop and jazz to classical music.
No recording studio is complete without the legendary Neumann U87 Ai. Be a part of that legend and experience its prestigious sound.
"[The U87] will reliably give you very good recordings every time." - Sound on Sound, Voted Best Microphone 2012
"Giving you an exceptional level of clarity, the U87 has its own distinct sonic signature, providing a deep, rich, pleasant tone to anything you record." - Voice Council
- Variable large diaphragm microphone
- Pressure- gradient transducer with double membrane capsule
- The studio microphone classic
- Three directional characteristics: omni, cardioid, figure-8
- Switchable low frequency roll-off
- Switchable 10 dB pre- attenuation
- Ideal as main and as support microphone in the most differing recording situations
- Acoustical operating principle: Pressure gradient transducer
- Directional pattern: Omnidirectional, cardioid, figure-8 plus
- Frequency range: 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- Sensitivity at 1 kHz into 1 kohm: 20/28/22 mV/ Pa
- Rated impedance: 200 ohms
- Rated load impedance: 1000 ohms
- Equivalent SPL CCIR 468-3: 26/23/25 dB
- Equivalent SPL DIN/IEC 651: 15/12/ 14 dB-A
- S/N ratio CCIR 468-3: 68/71/ 69 dB
- S/N ratio DIN/IEC 651: 79/82/80 dB
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5 : 117 dB (cardioid)
- Maximum SPL for THD 0.5 with preattenuation: 127 dB
- Maximum output voltage: 390 mV
- Dynamic range of the microphone amplifier cardioid DIN/IEC 651: 105 dB
- Supply voltage: 48 V ± 4 V
- Current consumption: 0.8 mA
- Matching connectors: XLR3F
- Weight: 500g
- Diameter: 56mm
- Length: 200mm